The most important decision you will make during your breast augmentation is knowing how to choose the right breast implant size. Size will not only determine the outcome, but how the implants will hold up over time. Going too large may set patients for all sorts of complications and disappointments both in the short term and long term. Going too small will leave you wanting more. The ideal surgeon knows how to get it just right so the result works for you in the long run, meaning flattering breasts that are proportional to your body with minimal complications.
The following are some pointers to keep in mind when you are considering a breast augmentation:
- Implant size is not determined on the operating room table. That would be more accurately called guesswork: it may work some of the time, but it doesn’t make any sense.
- Size should not be determined by computer imaging. How can a computer alone determine what you and your breasts will look like after an enhancement? It takes human experience.
- Trying to choose the right breast implant size by requesting various bra sizes is imprecise and doesn’t take into consideration what your breasts will look like relative to your body. Besides, bra sizing varies amongst bra manufactures: a “C” from one brand is not the same “C” from another brand.
- Implant size is not determined after only 1 visit to your doctor, nor can it be determined by simply pointing at a photo of breasts that you like. Even the most stubborn patients may change their minds after an initial visit with the doctor. Discussing size and trying on implant sizers in front of a full-length mirror are all key steps in determining what’s best for you. You will need confirmation with a second visit before surgery.
- If you feel pressure during your doctor visit, this likely isn’t the best time to make a decision.
- It’s always good to have several people – friends, family, a significant other – who can provide second opinions during your consultation.
My method of choosing implant size – trying on different sizers in front of a full-length mirror – has proven spot-on for many years. We not only look at how your breasts appear with different implants, but also think about how your breasts will look with your entire figure. Do they make you look heavy? Do they make you look balanced and proportional? Do you feel comfortable with the size? Are they too small? Are they too conspicuous or just right? Does the size work well with your body and your personality
Learning how to choose the right breast implant size for your breast augmentation should be the fun part of your doctor visits. This is your opportunity to play “dress up” in preparation for one of the most joyful and rewarding experiences.