Why I don’t recommend the TUBA (transumbilical breast augmentation) to my patients
- A reoperation, or revision, typically involves making another incision (the one you should have made in the first place).
- It is a less precise operation because you are operating far away from your operative field. Less precise means compromised results.
- It is not a “mainstream” operative procedure. Few Board Certified plastic surgeons offer this to their patients because they know that it’s somewhat of a “circus stunt.”
- I have seen many patients who have had the procedure and are not pleased, or have had complications directly related to the procedure.
- The incision in the crease below the breast is the accepted “gold standard.”
- TUBA approach is not recommended by the implant manufacturers.
- Silicone implants are not an option.
- A “V” shaped track along the upper abdomen is a possible complication.
- The incision in the breast crease is only a finger breathe wide, and it heals almost imperceptibly, so why go far away to the belly button?
- If you were a golfer, would you rather make a 2 foot putt, or a 10 foot putt?
- TUBA insertion of saline implants is not approved by the Food and Drug Administration.
- The transumbilical approaches produce far more lawsuits than the submammary, periareolar, or transaxillary approach.
— Robert Caridi, MD
Diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS)
Member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS)
Member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
Founder of the Austin Gynecomastia Center
Make Tomorrow Beautiful
Schedule Your Consultation
When it comes to improving your life, there’s no time like the present. The decisions you make today about your skin health, your body, and your beauty will impact you for the rest of your life. For more than three decades, Westlake Plastic Surgery has made the future brighter and more beautiful for patients just like you. Schedule your consultation today to begin your aesthetic journey at Westlake Plastic Surgery.
Schedule An Online Consultation